I’ve been home for almost a month, and while I can’t imagine being anywhere else right now, I am feeling restless. I feel like I have no idea what I want to do. I’ve been pretty deep in my head for a couple of weeks. I did go to therapy and got my hair cut, which both things always help.
Aside from that, I’m trying to make myself have more of a routine. Which some days I’m good at and others I just ignore. But some things I’ve been doing:
- Writing. Either some sort of blog writing, free write, or email.
- Reading. I finished ‘Catch and Kill’ by Ronan Farrow a few days ago. Have you read it? It’s a good read, and I kept referring to it ‘as candy’ because I didn’t want to put it down, but I was also savoring it as well.
- Trying to be proactive about reaching out to friends to catch up. It’s already a busy time of year but there’s always time to get a cup of coffee.
- My friend Maya is in grad school in Montreal. We’ve been sending each other digital postcards/snapshots of our day. Most of them are just everyday things like a piece of toast for breakfast or my mom’s dog Coco, pandering for a walk. But it’s nice to have a daily connection, even sharing the simplest of photos.
- Meditation/EFT. I use Headspace quite a bit, I feel like the majority of my use is before falling asleep. But my mind seems to be on overdrive lately so taking 10 minutes out of my day really does help. EFT is emotional freedom technique, which basically it’s tapping on specific pressure points on your body. It’s so helpful and when I have so much going on in my head and I ‘m restless like the past few weeks, it’s just another tool to keep me from questioning everything I’m doing.
- So my mom bought herself a Peloton, which recently had a surge of controversy because people feel like they need to be constantly outraged. If you don’t know what I’m talking about here. But she can add up to five people and I’ve been using the app and the bike. It’s kind of amazing, I didn’t think it was this possible to be into a workout app but I’m into it. The yoga is great, the strength training is great, and the spinning, although I’ve never done spinning before this but it seems pretty good. That’s all I’ve used at the moment but I’m using it pretty consistently.
Aside from that, I’ve been watching some pretty extensive impeachment hearings. I also am caught up on ‘The Good Place’ which is the only tv show I have any interest in at the moment.
I’ve been listening to a ton of music, most of it is pretty introspective. Although I’ve been writing and if I write with music at all, it has to be no words. But here’s a little playlist of stuff.